Georgia is the Peach State, so you know we’ve got some great, fresh peaches around here!
Summer is peach season here in Georgia — it’s time for homemade peach ice cream, peach cobbler, peach pie, and just…peaches all on their own.
There are several great places to pick up fresh Georgia peaches, but our favorite is Dickey Farms in the tiny postage stamp town of Musella, Ga. A visit here is a perfect multi-generational day trip, here’s why.
Why We Like Dickey Farms for Georgia Peaches
Musella is about 20 miles off 1-75 near Macon, Ga. I first visited Dickey Farm’s Peach packing house on an Explore Georgia press trip. I was so taken with it that I knew I wanted to return, and bring my dad who loves all things rural. So last Saturday, I set out with my 90-year-old father, and 14-year-old son to get some peaches, and homemade soft-serve peach ice cream.
There are less than 10 buildings along Musella Road where you’ll find the big white Peach House. The one that immediately caught my father’s eye was the old fashioned General Store with the Gulf sign advertising its former life as a gas station. The General Store is located directly across the street from Dickey’s.
We pulled open the door that was weighted by an old metal iron to enter the time machine. Rows of merchandise — some just for show, and some for sale — said this is still a business. The hot seller the day we arrived was barbecue. No fancy signs, just a poster board with the pertinent information and darn good barbecue.
After we sat on the benches of the General Store’s front porch to eat our lunch, we took a look at the Ford Model T and the big red Ford tractor sitting below the ‘Welcome to Musella’ Coca-Cola sign painted on the side of the building. My dad checked out the tractor while a couple posed their 1-year-old in the Model T for a picture. The little guy was looking longingly at the tractor, excitement in his eyes. My dad had that same look.
Dickey’s Peach Stand for Fresh Georgia Peaches
After checking out all the tractors, we headed across the street to Dickey’s. Unfortunately, the peach processing line wasn’t working, there had been a power outage earlier that day and the crews had gone home. Normally you can see them packing the peaches as you rock on the porch eating your ice cream. And oh, my goodness, it’s such good ice cream. Homemade with real peaches. It made our list of the best ice cream in Georgia.
My son couldn’t believe the peaches were as big as his teenage hand. I told him to go to the tasting section. Who cares how big they are, it’s the taste that counts! These were so sweet, I was wondering if we were going to send my diabetic father’s sugar count a little too high with just a taste.
We shopped a bit, perusing the peach syrups, the jams and jellies, and locally grown produce. In the end, they up sold us to a case of peaches so we could get the free watermelon. I wish we had gotten a few more. We may need to go back next weekend.
Other Awesome Places to get Fresh Georgia Peaches
- Farmview Market in Madison has some great peach salsa you’ve just got to try! They’ve also got fresh peaches in their market during the summer months.
- Lane Southern Orchards in Fort Valley is right off I-75 and is a great place to stop if you’re traveling south for vacation. Their locally grown peaches are delicious, kids will love checking out the packing process, and you’ve got to grab a peach ice cream while you’re there.
- Pearson Farms: Order your fresh peaches online from this peach farm in Fort Valley, or pick some up from a farmers market. They also have a store, with every delicious peach product you can imagine.
- R&A Orchards: Located in Ellijay, this apple orchard grows peaches too! Stop by their Roadside Market.
- Panorama Farm Market: Panorama Orchards and Farm Market is a family fruit farm established in the 1920’s to produce and market apples. Today they still have the apples, as well as peaches, and fall vegetables.
- Mercier Orchards: Mercier Orchards is known for their fall apples — but they’ve got delicious summer fruits too, like peaches! Stop by their market or cafe, or participate in one of their U-Pick Events!
- Penlands Apple House: In the summer, this Ellijay apple house becomes a peach house!
- Jaemor Farms: They produce 33 varieties of peaches at Jaemor Farms! They even offer visitors the chance to pick their own once a year with their “U Pick Peaches” day.
365 Daily posts are short and sweet, designed to highlight the discoveries we unearth on a daily basis as we explore Atlanta, the South, and the world!
We make no guarantees of any price listed on our site. We are not responsible for content on external web sites linked from ours, including linked resources, an external blog post, any partner site, hotel property sites, or affiliate sites. We only write about places we love in an attempt to help you in your adventures, but we can’t guarantee you will love them, too.
- 5 THINGS YOU’LL LOVE ABOUT THE BLUE RIDGE SCENIC RAILWAY IN SUMMERTIME - September 28, 2021
- RESEARCH NOTES ON AFFORDABLE SKI RESORTS IN COLORADO - September 3, 2021
- Have a Blast at Insight Virtual Ballistics - August 12, 2021